Rose

0 Comments

The rose… so much has been said, so much has been written about it. There are poems, stories and myths about how it came to be and why it is so pretty that even a decade won’t be enough for us to recall them all. This flower has such a long and intense history in both literary and documentary senses that it has become very difficult to understand the very origins of them all. Even the very rose itself has so many varieties that professional botanists are gathering to argue on what when and where is a rose and how it came to be as a species. More than 100 in number, the genus’ species are all over the world – from the Far East to the United States of America.

rose flower

Rose flower facts

One of the most popular types of roses is the English rose. It is also the one that probably comes to everyone’s mind when the flower s mentioned. It is famous with its many petals in the floret and the fullness of the head, the thickness of the velvety leaflets and the sharp thorns it uses to protect its stem from adversaries. This, however, is just one of the many beautiful diverse looks that the family of roses can provide. Another one of the more popular types – especially famous for the very distinctive looks of it – is the Chinese rose. It has a lot less petals and looks more like a tropical flower, but is in fact quite similar to the European sorts. Another diversity, which sends us to the exact opposite of the far Eastern variety, is the one used for oils. The rose oil is extracted from many representatives, but they all have in common a rather small head and very large number of petals. The usual colour is pink and the seeds are more exposed. These bushels can grow up to 2 or 2-and-a-half metres if left unattended, but are usually kept shorter for the harvesters’ convenience. About 70% of the world’s rose oil is produced in Bulgaria while Morocco, Turkey and recently China divide the other 30% between themselves.

rose varieties

Large quantity of varieties

The rose has an extremely large quantity of varieties – form forms to colours to sizes. This is why it also has various uses and meanings. Roses can be eaten, drunk as tea, put as spices and turned into cosmetic oil (as mentioned above). The main purpose of this flower in the everyday life of the ordinary person is to bring a smile to a loved one or send a special message.

In the language of flowers, the rose has different meanings, depending on the size of the bouquets, the colour of the flower and the combinations made; is it given in a pot or as a single stem? Generally speaking, the rose means ‘I love you’. But people must be careful when gifting because: white is for ‘eternal love’, pink is for ‘please believe me’, yellow is for ‘jealousy’, black is for ‘death’, dark crimson is for ‘mourning’, the rose leafs are for ‘remembrance’ and much, much more.